Lot n° 75
4800 - 5500
Result with fees
: 30 000EUR
CZAPSKA OF TRUMPET of the 1st regiment of... - Lot 75 - Pousse-Cornet
CZAPSKA OF TRUMPET of the 1st regiment of the lancer horsemen of the Imperial Guard called "Polish Lancers".
Carcass made of strong cardboard reinforced with split bamboo rods covered with white ribbed cloth, black patent leather turban (cracked) 100 mm high covered with 30 mm silver stick braid, the side corners and the upper square plate (240 x 230 mm) are underlined by a faded red soutache which has turned to old pink, the metal corners are made of silver plated brass. On the sides there are two silver plated brass lion heads on quatrefoils with hooks to allow the attachment of a ring chinstrap whose sheet is missing, black patent leather visor embossed with a baguette pattern on the perimeter and in the center perpendicularly of the famous "thumbtack pavement", tricolor cloth cockade adorned with a silver plated brass Maltese cross of about 57 mm. On the front, there is the gilt brass plate with embossed spokes, with a silvered copper guilloche centre and an "N" under the crown. (Wear to the silvering). Inner headband of the leather cap (fabric is missing).
Early 19th century.
H : 24 cm. ABE (wear and tear)
The 1st Polish Light Horse Regiment (1 Pulk Szwolezerów-Lansjerów Gwardii Cesarskiej) is a light cavalry unit of the Imperial Guard, created in 1807. With a theoretical strength of 1,000 cavalrymen and 32 staff men, it is the fourth cavalry regiment in the Guard. There are 2 trumpeters per squadron.
Recruited from among the Polish nobility, the light horsemen made their debut during the Spanish War, particularly at the Somosierra Pass in 1808, where one of their squadrons captured four Spanish batteries. After this exploit, the Poles joined the Old Guard. In 1809, they were the first cavalrymen of the Imperial Guard to be equipped with the lance, and became the "Polish lancers".
Consultant : Laurent Mirouze
Return to catalogue